Re: Newbie

To: Stephen McCartney <sgam@hotmail.com>, tomwolfe@texas.net,
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 14:56:00 -0800 (PST)
All 67.5 2000 were not Solex cars, although that was the only year they
were available in the US with Solex from the factory.  You could add
them from dealer available parts (and probably dealer labor) from 68-70
but they didn't come from Nissan that way.  Other countries (Australia,
Canada(?)) got Solex all years on all 2000's.

I have a '70 and like my car but agree that the safety-mandated changes
(larger side markers, larger rear reflectors, front turn signals) are a
little less desirable than the earlier cars, but most of that can be
easily undone if it really bothers you.

--- Stephen McCartney <sgam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas, welcome to the list.
>
> It's nice to meet someone who's willing to step into a new group and
> start a
> fight from the get-go! 8^)
>
> No such thing as a "best" Datsun roadster.  The most collectable
> would have
> to be a 67.5 2000.  IIRC, all of them were Solex cars.  After that,
> it's
> really up to personal choice.  Some people prefer older cars with the
> lower
> rooflines and "flat" dashboards.  Some (like me) aren't as concerned
> with
> that, and just want the quickest version - a Solex 2000 of any
> vintage,
> though they're harder to find, I believe, in the US than over here in
>
> Australia.  If you're going to look at "high screen" cars, arguably
> the 1970
> is your best bet - it does have a better steering box.  In the end
> though,
> I'd be looking at each car you find as an individual case.  I ended
> up with
> a '68 that I absolutely love, and I turned down a cheaper '70 model
> as it
> wasn't in as good a shape.  The 1600 can be made to go very quickly
> indeed,
> using parts from the Nissan H20 motors you can build yourself a
> pushrod 2
> litre.
>
> Cheers, and good hunting
> Steve