Re: Dwell vs Gap

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dwell vs Gap
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:04:16 -0500
>jon_wissler@pngc.com:

>    Does "Crane" have a website where I could see them tout their
> product?  Why do you say that a re-curved points distributor is better
> than the Crane 3000 unit?

Don't confuse the method used to generate the spark with the mechanism used
to control when that spark occurs. On older cars like ours you can use point
type, magnetic pickup, optical triggers and maybe some other methods to
control the generation of a spark pulse, but then you also have at least one
(mechanical advance) and  often a second mechanism (vacuum advance) to alter
the timing of that spark pulse above idle speed.

Any ignition system based on the OEM distributor is going to have a mounting
plate on which will be mounted points or a magnetic or optical pickup. As
the distributor spins faster the weight and spring assembly below that plate
move the plate advancing the timing. If the distributor is equipped with
vacuum advance, that also rotates the plate.

There are only a handful of BB sized ball bearings in this assembly. They're
open, tend to collect dirt and aren't cleaned and relubed like they should
be, so they tend to wear out. This is why just installing a trick ignition
setup may not always yield the expected results. You need to make sure that
the distributor shaft and body, along with the mounting plate aren't worn
out.

I'm pretty sure the OEM (set up for vacuum) plate is still available over
the counter for around $35 list, and I think the non vacuum version is
available, too. Since the differences between a distributor for an L-6 and
an L-4 are just the cap and the cam that controls the points, I'll bet that
most any "point plate" assembly for a Hitachi distributor can be made to
work.

I'll dig around here at Courtesy and Trophy and post what I find. I have two
or three distributors I need to go through anyway.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)