Door postys

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Door postys
From: Tom Duffy <tomuo@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:30:47 -0700
Well, last weekend I replaced all but 2 of the twisty & postys on
my 68 1600, so this weekend I started on the last two, on the
doors.
Suffice it to say, they weren't designed for ease of access.
I ended up taking out the quarter window/vertical window
guide assembly and the door glass as well.
Getting the old posty off was easy, just a case of getting the
right size spanner into the works. The washers and nut dropped
inside the door, but it's possible to fish around for those.

The problem is getting the washers and nuts onto the new
posty.  I have small hands,  but I just couldn't find manouvering
room for two fingers to get anything on the thread.
After many painful attempts, I used some gloop (grease would have
been good, I actually used chrome cleaning paste) to "stick" the
washers to my thumb. That way I could position the part onto the
thread, and turn from the outside to "catch" it on.

If there's a better way, I still have the other door to do...