Re: Push or Pull electric fan

To: dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu, jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Push or Pull electric fan
From: Jaykp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:59:41 EDT
It's funny that fans have become an issue. My father, a "street rodder",  was
in town visiting over Easter weekend. I told him that I wanted to change to
an elecric fan on the roadster, but that I had seen many comment that the
temperature controlled switches had a tendency to burn up.  He said that it
was a common problem in the street rod world and that the switches can't
handle the amperage. He suggested using a relay circuit.

I just today received an article that he mailed me on the issue from the June
2001 issue of Street Rodder magazine called "Living on Overload". It explains
the use of relay ciruits thoroughly and diagrams the relay wiring. Very
insightful. He also sent an add from Parr Automotive, 800 654-6779, where the
sell a complete Elecric Fan Relay Kit with Auto. Temp Sensor for $47. The
only problem that I can see is tha the kit comes with a switch that turns on
at 185 and off at 170. Is that a good range? I'm afraid that it might be a
tad low.

Jay Williams
'68 SPL
Nashville, TN