Re: Push or Pull electric fan

To: "John Schmitt" <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>,
Subject: Re: Push or Pull electric fan
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:47:14 -0500
>First,  does it really matter if the fan is push or pull type.  I read, in
>the digest, that pull works better.  Is there any reason for this?  I saw
>one referance to a JC Whitney fan, which one?  Are there any other
>recommendations? How does the thermostat connect into the colling system?

Putting the fan behind the radiator doesn't block airflow like putting it
in front does. If the radiator is marginal to begin with that could be a
problem. If it has at least some excess capacity it probably won't make a
significant difference. As has been said several times in the thread, the
fan is really only needed when the car is stopped or in stop and go
traffic. I haven't looked at the JCW catalog, but I'd stick with a major
brand, wherever you buy it.

The thermostats that I've seen are surface mounted on the radiator
itself, although I wouldn't be surprised to see one that plugs into an
extra fitting in the engine's thermostat housing. There are some later
(lower) thermostat housings for L-motors that are popular because they
already have extra fittings. Don't know if they'd be usable on an R or U
motor.

I'd suggest making sure that the engine water passages are clear, the
water pump is working properly and the radiator is not clogged or leaking
before doing anything else if there's a cooling problem. Reducing fan
noise is a big plus, too. Redline also sells a product called Water
Wetter, which I suspect is a surfactant that increases the heat
conductivity of the water/antifreeze mix. It's not snake oil either, it
really works.

I guess one of the root problems with all of these older cars is their
age. Many things are just wearing out due to age. You've got to be
careful with so called new parts, too. I bought a new radiator for one of
the 510s in Maryland not long before I left to move back down here in
'90. I left immediately and didn't know that the car was overheating
until a month later when I went back up to DC to move the household stuff
and family down. Turned out the radiator was full of solder and I had to
have a new core installed after we arrived down here. The shop that
replaced the core said that was an all too common problem with offshore
parts. Bummer.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)