2L Front engine cover

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 2L Front engine cover
From: "Brad Holmes" <bholmes@monk.aum.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:27:51 +600
Listers

I was cleaning the car for our SEROC Road Atlanta trip at the end
of April and after cleaning the engine I noticed oil on the front
drivers side of the engine. I found that the front engine cover has
about a 1 in. hair line crack in the cover that is seeping oil. There
is NO death rattle. (perhaps PO overtorqued hardware?) Several
questions come to mind:

1. Is the cover a pretty straight forward removal?
    (2 piece gasket, and front cover oil seal?)
2. What kind / type of sealant / adhesive should be used on the
    gaskets?
3. Is the front oil seal pressed in? Special tools, instructions?
4. Can the cover be stop drilled and let's say JB welded?
5. Would it be safe to drive it several hundred miles with it
    cracked before fixing it?
6. If the cover is removed / repaired, is there anything else
    that should be replaced, inspected, adjusted etc, while the cover
    is off?
7. Any other info you can share.

Thanks
68 -2000 Solex, comp oil pan