Re: 2L Front engine cover

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Brad Holmes"
Subject: Re: 2L Front engine cover
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:36:25 -0700
>1. Is the cover a pretty straight forward removal?
    >(2 piece gasket, and front cover oil seal?)

The two studs that anchor the water pump may give you grief in removing the
cover. Carefully work the cover off in this area. After cleaning all surfaces
(including the studs), put some anti-sieze on the studs to prevent future
removal problems.

>3. Is the front oil seal pressed in? Special tools, instructions?

Find a large roll of duct tape that has an inner diameter just
larger than the hole in the cover. Place it on a workbench, with
the cover on top. Use a rubber mallet to tap the new seal into
place.

>6. If the cover is removed / repaired, is there anything else
    >that should be replaced, inspected, adjusted etc, while the cover
    >is off?

Consider removing the lower tensioner guide, as it is not all that
necessary, but if it breaks can cause a lot of damage. I've had that
happen in the past; since then I've been running my engines without it
without problems.
Also inspect the gear teeth for wear between the teeth. If the valley
between the teeth is not a straight slope but has a wear pattern like
large circles then your gears need replacing.
Also if the evil-L on the upper guide is notched then you should
consider breaking off the evil-L before it does it on it's own.

Fred - So.SF