RE: 2L Front engine cover

Subject: RE: 2L Front engine cover
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:45:35 -0400
>1. Is the cover a pretty straight forward removal?
    >(2 piece gasket, and front cover oil seal?)

The two studs that anchor the water pump may give you grief in removing the
cover.

2,  Consider removing the lower tensioner guide, as it is not all that
necessary

I spoke to Mike Kerr about this and he recommended against this mod on the
U20 as the guide helps lessen the load on the nose of the Jackshaft.  FWIW I
removed the lower guide from my engine last time I had it apart.  The lower
timing chain had lost the front and rear links on and had only the middle
link (center of the double row chain) holding it all together when I pulled
it apart this time!  Could have been a faulty chain but that guide is going
back into my engine this time.

Brian