Re: carpet

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: carpet
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:18:13 -0500
>While I don't make a habit of using the Roadster in the rain whenever I go
>to the Glen it usually rains. One year it rained so much and so hard I heard
>slushing noises from all the water on the floors. I remained completely dry
>and I still don't know how or where it gets in from. I had to completely
>strip out the interior to dry everything using fans.

Brings to mind another sea story, this one actually roadster related.

Not too long after we bought our 2000, must have been in the spring of
'70 because we were living in my grandparents house in the Riverside
section of Ft. Worth, we decided to wash it..., in a RoBoWash!! Now, for
those that don't know the Robo was the early ancestor of the modern
automated car washes. It consisted of this big upside down "L" which went
around your car after you drove into the wash bay and stopped in the
designated spot. Of course there were nozzles all along the "L", spraying
water and detergent all across the top and down the sides.

We weren't too concerned about some water getting in since when driving
in the rain some often leaked in at the corner of the top and the
windshield. It was just accepted that they leaked a little. Needless to
say, and particularly with the water being sprayed from the sides and
being blown upwards, too, we had water coming in all all over the place,
much of it around the bottom of the top, in buckets! We were practically
coming out of our clothes in an attempt to stop the water's flow and soak
it up, making absolutely no progress whatsoever! We both sat in water,
puddled in our seats, until we got home.

That's when we found out how easy it was to just pull the top, the seats
and carpeting and let everything dry out. We still laugh when either of
us mentions that particular roadster adventure. About the same time we
were introduced to the joys of hare and hound rallying, in the middle of
a very unusual spring snow storm. Made it just a touch hard to tell the
route markers from snow patches on the side of the road. To borrow a
phrase from Archie and Edith Bunker,

"Those were the days!!"

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)