RE: carpet

To: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>,
Subject: RE: carpet
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:47:35 -0500
Dziuba, Larry wrote

>I doubt we can still get horse hair for this application.  I wasn't worried
>about that.  I was just wondering how a guy could contain both an underlay
>and carpet if neither were glued down.  I had heard years ago from a lot of
>others that you never glue down carpet - just let it settle over time.  That
>did not address the underlay.  Could it be fixed to the underside of the
>carpet?  LArry.

Ther was no padding in my car when I replaced the carpet, but it was far
from original.  If you used the snaps with the carpet, you could capture
a rebonded foam or jute pad underneath by keeping the snap areas clear of
padding.  I'd avoid gluing the padding for the same reasons you want to
avoid gluing the carpet.  Someone mentioned velcro, that might be worth a
try (except on jute)  ; >)  You could, as you mentioned fix the padding
to the underside of the carpet, I imagine.
if you do this, do it in registration. If you glue padding to the back of
the carpet while flat on a table or the driveway, it will be a real bear
to get it to conform to any curves of shapes.  It will begin to have
structural integrity.

Marc T.

Marc Tyler
Designer,