RE: Solexes 4 sale

Subject: RE: Solexes 4 sale
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:09:21 -0400
I'm glad this came up.  A while back I had asked what jets/block/venturies
folks were running in their Solexes.  There was very little response, which
was not unexpected.  When you go to set a Solex type carb up you have to
understand that you can't just bolt them on and go.  Even the Webber DGV's
they sell to go on the stock Z car manifold (and anything else that ran SU's
or Stromberg's) are not bolt on items.  They can't be as any two cars will
likely require differences in the carbs set up because of differences in the
engines (how worn things are will affect set up).
I would still like to compile a list of who has what in their solexes and
what camshafts and engine modifications they have as I think that would be
valuable in helping to set these things up.  I will post the results of my
own tuning when I get the car back together in a couple of months.  In the
meantime, for what it's worth, I will post what I know now:
Out of the box the 44PHH has 34mm main venturies, "55" pilot jets, 135 main
fuel jets and 140 main air jets on "8" jet blocks with "M" bleed pipes.
According to Rebello the stock setup in 67.5 was 37mm main venturies,
165-170 main fuel with 250 main air on "OA" jet blocks.
I believe that both set ups run 4.5 auxiliary venturies (or pump jets).
>From what I've read in Frank Honsowetz' book and talked to some others
about, the Rebello setup sounds like a racing setup.  They made no mention
of bleed tubes in the OA jet block.  Bleed tube have an effect on part
throttle operation and are not used in the OA tube according to Honsowetz.
I believe that they can be used in the OA tube but are left out in racing
applications.
I also remember some 15 years ago that the SCCA restricted the solex 2000's
to 32mm main venturies in E production.  I don't know if that is still the
case.
Needless to say, these are very different setups.  If you want to run
solexes you can set them up yourself without a dyno but it'll be a good
weekends worth of work and could get frustrating (I'll let you know how many
times I throw my good carburetor screwdriver across the garage when I post
the final results of my own tuning).  If you want to do that you absolutely
must get a good book on the subject.  "Tuning Webber Carburetors" is very
valuable even when working on other carbs.  Honsowetz book on rebuilding the
Nissan/Datsun OHC has a good chapter on carbs.  I also saw a Solex manual on
Ebay a week or so ago that might have been some help.  It sold for $52
though and I wasn't going to pay that.
I would still like to hear from others regarding what they are running in
their solexes so that I could compile the information for those who want to
make these things run right.
 Most of the Solex
equipped cars are not living up to their potential because each car requires
their own set up and people don't do that they, just slap on the carbies
with no real performance gain. I drove several Solex cars and was not all
that impressed w/most of them as they had stumbling, dead spots and the
like.