Re: re-visiting the pricing issue

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re-visiting the pricing issue
From: "James L Uhl" <jamesuhl@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:57:17 -0500
KUDOS TO ANDREW!  I'm gonna rant, so delete this if you're subject to being
easily offended.  Seriously, I don't want to any hate mail from this so I'll
apologize in advance. ;-)

While I'm looking at cars in my immediate area, I was the one who gave the
Georgia 1600 the bad press.  I have a couple of deals worth following up on
from members on this list (in other states, unfortunately), but I received
replies from five of you telling me that the GA 1600 advertised for $4k
wasn't worth as much as $1k - he declined the offer, by the way.

Some of you have seen the car I built and posted on my website.  Even though
it cost me as much as I could have purchased a 2001 Viggen for, I could
probably not get more than $15k for it.  Did I do it for the money?  No, I
did it for the love of the car and the love of the hobby.

It's just my $.02 worth, but it seems that the guys who have a very clean
car to start with can build an exceptional vehicle and command a high price,
just as is true in any restoration.  When others who own vehicles of lesser
quality see how much "the other guy" got for his car, they presume they can
get that much for their's.  Each car is different!  And let's be honest.
The Resto project that is WORTH paying $10k for, probably COST the poor guy
three or four times that amount - not including his ownlabor.

As Andrew mentioned, the 212 on E-bay did not officially sell even though
the bid was run up to $8100.  COME ON!  Is that car worth more in
un-restored condition?  Obviously not, otherwise the bid would have gone
higher and the reserve would have been met.  The unfortunate soul here in
Georgia is going to learn the hard lesson of pricing.  I called on them two
weeks after the ad was posted.... and I was the only person who had even
called according to the seller's wife.  Go figure!  Since I've started my
Roadster search, I haven't seen the reserve met on a Roadster on E-bay, yet.
Now maybe that's a fault of E-bay sellers and buyers, but these cars ARE
becoming increasingly difficult to restore and find.

It seems the only people who want them are those who have a passion for them
(myself included), but NOT the general public.  The Saab enthusiasts burned
themselves by thinking their old cars were "collectibles" and priced them
high enough that nobody wanted to buy them.  What happened was the cars that
were in a degraded state were sent to the scrap yard by their owners because
used parts (for a resto.) were outrageously priced, as well.  Additionally,
they weren't in high demand by the general public,either.

What good is fixing up a car to sell it, if you have no demand from buyers??
None!  You're only fixing it up for yourself.  Be that the case, remember
that fact if you DO decide to sell it.  I think everyone on this list can
show receipts of "how much" they spent on their car.  Unfortunately, that's
not what matters; what matters is what your INDIVIDUAL car is worth in
whatever condition it's in.  Cars aren't investments, real estate is.

Thanks for letting me rant,
James

No Roadster, yet.
http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jamesuhl