Re: Fuel pump?

To: Ted Garner <tgarner89@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel pump?
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:09:18 -0800
Ted Garner wrote:

> Hello everyone, We have started to get a touch of spring here in Omaha(very
> minor) and wanted to get the 67 1600 going. My problem is when I start the
> car, it will run fine for a few seconds, then just die out, the fuel pump
> constantly runs, I have checked the fuel lines and filter(both fine). My
> question is, am I getting to much gas and it is flooding out, or am I not
> getting enough gas and it is dying, is it my fuel pump gone bad? Any help
> would be appreciated on what may be the problem. Thanks

Ted,
What do you mean the fuel pump (FP) keeps running?
You must have an electric fuel pump?

Unhook the fuel line from the carb and put it into a clear
or translucent jug of some sort.  Then crank the engine over
a few times to see if some fuel is actually going to the carbs.

If you have an electric FP then fuel should poor out continuously.
Mechanical fuel pump should pump in spurts sort of.

If fuel comes out into the jug, you should have enough fuel.

If no fuel, then either the line is plugged somewhere or the
glass fuel bowl is not getting a good seal.
It is common for the seal in that glass fuel bowl to dry out
causing problems.

Check those things and get back to us.
Bob
67.5