Re[2]: SF Roadster Prices

To: CalSpeed@aol.com, "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: SF Roadster Prices
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:17:37 -0800
Not everything in SF is inflated. Bargains can be had. It's certainly true
that new cars are sold for inflated prices. I just bought a Frontier a
couple months ago, and saved anywhere from $4000 to $8000 by buying it 90
miles away from SF (got it well below MSRP). Yes, the markups were $8000,
and other people are paying it (well they were before the tech stock market
collapse).

What surprises me is that so many Datsun roadsters are available in the SF
area, dirt cheap. Yes, the fine examples are commanding $10,000+, but
non-running junkers can be had for nothing to a few hundred, and there's
some decent runners around the $2000-$4000 range. (Don't ask for specifics,
just recalling observations from the last year or two.)

Incidentally, I don't consider some of these $10,000+ roadsters as
inflated. Some truly reflect added value from hundreds if not thousands of
hours of labor, and the glances from passersby confirm that a fine Datsun
roadster is deserving of a $10,000+ price-tag. There's a big difference
between a so-so runner and a head-turning factory-new-looking roadster.
Some of the kids around here easily invest $25,000 into their 1990's rice
cars. My nephew put over $25,000 into his Geo Storm. $10,0000 looks cheap
in comparison.

Fred - So.SF