Re: Roadster Transmission

To: Arthur <maybee@zebra.net>,
Subject: Re: Roadster Transmission
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:42:27 -0800
Arthur wrote:

> Hmmmm... Then that still leaves me stumped about the way the rear of the
> spring is mounted to the car.  On most roadsters, you can barely see the
> rear springs. My car They stick out like a sore thumb. I compared them to
> the 70' that I have and it is definitely different.

Arthur,
The rear leaf spring attachment has a short shackle mount,  There is a loop
mounted on the
frame with an eyelet and the loop on the spring.  The stock shackle is about 4
inches long
              (+ or - a little).
On one side of it is the nuts washers and an oval plate with 2 holes and the
other side has a plate like the other but there are 2 studs, that I would guess
are welded to that plate.
Studs pass through the eye lets on the spring and spring perch.

If the shackle and rear portion of the spring does not ride between the frame
eyelet and the frame then it is installed improperly.
Someone may have switched it to make room for wider tires.
You may just need to remove it and return it to the proper location.

If you have a digital camera, send us a picture so we could tell what it looks
like.