Re: Starter Binding??

To: "John Schmitt" <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Binding??
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:07:23 -0800
The Distributor going in reverse is normal, it is the compression in the
cylinder, uncompressing.
The problem you are having is with the Battery.  If it is new then were the
Cables cleaned of all corrosion? Are the Cables old, did someone put on a
universal Cable connector, and it is green with corrosion.  Are the cables
both of the same thickness.  Are you keeping it topped off with "DISTILLED"
Water.  I have found if I am not using my vehicle for a period of time I
disconnect the Ground cable from the block.  and I make sure the connection
to the block, and the block mount is clean.  This way keeps from having a
possible loose connection at the battery.
  When I put my battery cable connections to the battery I tighten the cable
snug, then I put a heavy metal block on one side of the lead while tapping
the lead on the other side with a ball peen hammer, lightly.  Going around
on both sides and tightning the bolt at the same time, for a good contact.
And when I see the cables getting old, I buy new ones, the heavier the
better. Like "O" gague.
Then Check the brushes in the Starter, If you cannot do it, take it to an
Starter, Alternator Shop where their main Job is Alternators, Starters, Etc.
Under no circumstances take it to a Gas Station Mechanic, He is not equipped
to do the Job right.  I have taken out my Starter on my Roadster, and I
almost have to pull the engine to R+R it.
Get it done right and it wont bother you for a long while, unless of course
you don't keep your car in tune and it takes a while for it to start.   I
crank my starter for no more than four revolutions, if it does not start, I
stop cranking for 10 seconds to cool the starter.

Another thing is the Starter Selenoid.  Intermittent starting?  Disassemble
the Selenoid, and where the washer touches the contact is usually burned and
pitted.  Turn this washer over to use the other side, and the problem will
disappear.  Pat.