Re: Starter Binding??

To: John Schmitt <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Binding??
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:01:33 -0600
John,

The starters are pretty strong. What happens is there are four
brushes in the starters. Two complete circuits of current flowing
through the windings.

When the brushes start "acting up" usually the starter will start
the car just fine, but crank the engine at a slower speed. Suddenly
the "bump back" seems a little more noticeable on a cold engine.

I pulled my starter (ugh) and just take off the end plate to inspect
the brushes. Nissan wanted something like $20 for the four, when you
could still buy them. Local alternator/starter repair shop was able
to match the brushes up and I bought a set of four for $4.00.   Using
my trusty 150Watt Weller Iron I was able to solder the new leads fine.

Starter worked fine ever since.

Oh, inside of the starter there is some thin mica. Insulating material
that should be left in place. Also years of clutch dust will build up
inside the of the starter. Just needs to be cleaned out with clean
solvent after you disassemble everything. Do NOT soak the starter in
solvent, only rinse it off. No need to get the winding insulation
soaking wet.  Regrease the bushings, and inspect them for wear.

If all else fails, call up your favorite roadster supplier and get
a new starter. ;-)

SIDE NOTE: On Race cars with HIGH COMPRESSION, it is best to have
a seperate "starter button". Start the engine cranking over... then
turn on the ignition. Two things, the heat of compression will held
"preheat" the cylinder head, and since the motor is already cranking
at a higher speed once you apply ignition it will catch much easier
without the "bump back".

Tom Walter