Starter Binding??

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Binding??
From: "John Schmitt" <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:13:43 -0600
I have had a problem with starting my 2L for a couple years.  I have the
presmog Dist and have timing set to 16degrees.

When I turn the key, I get a half a revolution then is stops then turns
again and stops.  Usually this is not too much of a problem because the car
starts in one or two revs.  When the hood is up, the fan turns properly
then almost like I have a timing problem reverses direction for an inch or
two the repeats.  I listened with interest a couple weeks ago and everyone
said a similar problem was the starter.  I have a spare starter so I
swapped it out and, for a couple starts, seemed to be fine but yesterday is
was back to the same old tricks.

Like I said, it really seems like a timing issue and am wondering if this
could be the result of having a presmog dist with timing at 16 degrees.
Or, could it be not enough current to the starter?  I have a new battery
and charge it with a trickle charger periodically if, like now, it is not
driven often.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-458-7829
pager 800-759-8888 pin#  8710561