1966 -1967 low windshield restoration HELP

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1966 -1967 low windshield restoration HELP
From: "Fred L. Coover" <flc@CooverLaw.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:42:38 -0500
I bought a shell from Craig Halsted in Front Royal, Virginia.  Turns out
it is a 1966. Its in excellent condition-much better than my 67.  The 66
has a "Datsun" AM/FM Radio in it.   I've never seen one of those-is it
rare??

I plan to use my BADLY RUSTED 67 low windshield as a donor car for
engine, transmission, vent window assy, windshield, interior.  Does
anyone know any reason why parts won't swap in?

I have a 68 U20 5 sp in the 67 and the original 1600 4 sp as a spare.
Which combo is better??  Will the 5 sp bolt to the 1600??

Is there an alternative to cutting the inner fender to clear the stock
U20 air cleaner if I go that route? Doesn't the rear transmission
bracket bolt bolt to the frame at a different point on the 5sp than the
4 sp??  If so, what is the best way to accomplish this.  I seem to
remember having the darn thing welded to the frame 24 years ago!!! That
can't be the best way.

Does anyone fabricate any sheet metal to create a "pocket" for the U20
intake/air cleaner in an earlier Roadster??

Are the stock side mirrors available??  Does anyone have them NOS?

How do I determine if I should do a frame off resto to the 66??  Its in
very good original condition.   What is accomplished when you do a
frame-off??  Can you accomplish substantially the same thing leaving the
body on the frame?  Is a frame-off principally so you can sand blast and
recoat the frame??

The floor pan on the 66 has age appropriate surface rust.  The 67 has no
floor pan to speak of-its floor is constructed of street signs installed
by the co when he was a kid with no $$$$ [ok, so now I'm an adult with
less money to spend on cars!!] :)  Does this sound familiar to anyone???

I removed all the brittle asphalt covering from the 66 floor pan.  The
pan is perforated slightly around the passenger side drain plug.  What
is the best way to repair this?  Do you recommend covering with sheet
metal??  Are there patch panels available??  After the repair, is there
a comparable/preferable covering to the asphalt??  What purpose did the
factory covering serve??Sound deadening??

Is anyone making up new vinyl trunk mats with the snaps, etc.??  Both of
mine are very stiff and brittle.

I'M GETTING EXCITED JUST SENDING THIS MESSAGE!!!  HEY-DOES ANYONE ELSE
OUT THERE SEE THESE CARS IN THEIR SLEEP OR IS IT JUST ME????!!!!

After asking all these questions, will you folks get angry if I ask a
whole lot more as I go along with this project?

Is there any rule that you have to begin and finish a Roadster
restoration in the same decade??!!!

Last question of the evening:  Are there lawyers out there who
specialize in "Roadster Law" representing people who get hooked on their
Roadsters, spend too much time with them and tick off their spouses in
the process?? If so, can anyone refer me to one, cuz. . .I think I'm
going to need HELP!!!    :)

Chip Coover
Glenwood Maryland