Re: Center console

To: RickStayner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Center console
From: L Jordan <ay107@lafn.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:21:41 -0800
I don't know why but a lot of guys seem to be a little intimidated by doing
some of the upholstery, console,  door panel etc. work on their cars. And yet
are happy to tear into the suspension, transmission etc! I helped restore the
door panels  on my previous Roadster by using a piece of pegboard, some foam
to match the thickness of what was already on the piece and cut slightly
larger than the original, and some vinyl from the upholstery supply store.
The center console can be done the same way with the foam and vinyl. On the
panels, cut the pegboard to fit with a jig saw and smooth the edges. The
holes in the pegboard can be used for those little clip things to reinstall
it. Get some thin foam from the foam or upholstery shop, along with some
vinyl. Cut the vinyl oversize and lay the foam and board down on it. Now go
around and staple it around the edges of the backside (this is temporary
only). Now begin to glue the edges starting at one end of the panel and
pulling it snugly but gently as you work to the other end. You will be
removing the staples as you go and glueing. Put the clips in the holes and
reattach. It takes a little practice and there are other ways to do it but
it's really not hard. Just cut a piece to practice on until it is smooth.
Best to try to take a piece of vinyl with you to the upholstery shop so that
you can match the exact color and grain of the vinyl.
It just seems like sewing, guys, but it's not!
Linda
68 1600