RE: Roadster's British heritage.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Roadster's British heritage.
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 00 13:13:07 CST

>Many years ago when I had my first 240Z a mechanic I used told me the L
>series engines were knockoffs of Mercedes designs and he should know as
>I saw plenty of both of them in his shop.

Nothing interchanged, however. ;-)

I do think the U20 cam cover, and OHC, were inspired by the
Mercedes engines of the 1960's.  With odd 'partners' even back
30 years ago... there were some interesting factories that
would "assemble" vehicles. One such place did Nissan and Mercedes...
so you have to wonder what the engineers thought of the other
engineers designs.

The small two door Land Cruiser hasn't been imported into the
USA for some years, but you can still find "new ones" in
Brazil, fitted with Mercedes Diesel Engines! Joint effort
between the two companies.

What's next a French Nissan. Uh, never mind...

Mercedes (Daimler) is still trying to buy the Nissan Diesel operations,
btw.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX