Re: Rollbars

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rollbars
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:23:54 -0600
I bought a rollbar from someone on the list a few years ago that is a bolt
in, much like the Autopower bar.  I had it on the car for daily driving.
When I wanted to autox at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, I was told that I needed
a 2" clearance over my helmet which was about 2" more than I had.

I took out the rollbar and took it to the welder at the local racecar
builder shop and had an additional 2" peiced in using a sleeve.  I also
added a removable cross support from Autopower and two more vertical
supports  back to the rear shelf.  I am now legal and safe  for a
reasonable rollover (a la Bill Wessel).

With the additional 2 " I cant raise my top without removing one side of
the frame and lifting a couple inches.  The top then sits about 1/2 inch
above the bar with the frame cross member about 2-3 inches in front of the
bar.  It works and I have a much more secure place to attach my dogs
harness.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter Office # - 847-458-7829
   Internal phonemail only  -  847-240-4725      pager pin#  800-759-8888
pin 8710561