RE: SUVs

To: "Datsun Roadsters (E-mail)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SUVs
From: "HUBBARD, Charles E." <chubbard@shl.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:56:41 -0800
Guys,

Don't forget that there are many SUV owners lurking on this list. I can't
speak for anyone else, however, when I bought my Explorer, I was not
thinking that I could drive less cautiously.  What I was thinking was, what
are these idiots in their little cars doing riding my ass on the freeway at
75 MPH!  Yeah, I wanted to put more steel around my children, tow my
roadster, haul furniture without it getting wet, etc. Does this make me
yuppie scum?  Whatever.

Bottom line is that I bought the car and drive it because I like it and use
it for what it is; a Sport Utility Vehicle. Whatever generalizations you
guys want to make about the cars or drivers is your business.  I just wanted
you to know that many of us guys who own roadsters have other types of
vehicles. People who don't know how to drive on ice and snow will wreck any
vehicle they happen to be driving under those conditions. Perhaps the fact
that there are a lot of SUVs upside down on the side of the road has
something to do with the large number of them on the road? I just know that
I've driven both in the snow and ice.  The roadster handles great but when
another car hits you or you flip upside down, what car do you want to be
driving. It aint my 1500!

Charlie Hubbard

1964 1500
1995 Explorer