Re: MECHART RODS

To: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: MECHART RODS
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:55:02 -0800
Ronnie Day wrote:

> >Looking for some info on a company call Mechart.
> >They made comp rods for the roadster. I have a couple but a couple won't
> >run my u20.
> >The last info I had was:
> >
> >Mechart
> >233 arena st.
> >El Segundo, Ca 90245           213.322.1860
> >
> >This info is no good as the address is now a restarant supply house.
> >
> >Does anyone have current info, did the company move, gone under or ?
> >If you have some of these rods I would like to hear from you.
> >
> >Thanks for the info!
> >Craig
> >69 2000
>
> Craig,
>
> Please post what ever info you uncover. I'm considering having some
> custom pistons made to tur an L-20b or LZ-20 into an L-22. The Z-22 crank
> and rods are fine, but apparently the Z-22 pistons are low pressure
> castings that don't hold up well when pushed, so I've been (casually)
> looking around for venders.
>
> These types of sources will become even more important if Nissan can'tr
> get its act together and goes under. Even if another company buys Nissan,
> I wouldn't give good odds on the continued manufacture of roadster, 510
> and Z-parts, or Motorsports. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

The guy who used to own the company quit making automotive con-rods a
couple years ago. Last I spoke with him he was still making con-rods but
only for go-carts and such (cart racers were his biggest customers he
said). Anyway there was some talk about him selling the automotive end
of the business and I know that someone bought up all his old inventory
(not that there was all that much), but I never did hear if anyone
bought the designs, manufacturing rights, etc. He was a really nice guy
and his product was top notch, but most folks wouldn't pony up for a set
and of the small pool pof folks who would pay for trick con-rods, the
"big boys" like Carillo were geting most of the business. He's another
small specialty manufacturer who's gone out of business. :-(

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher