Re: Side draft Weber on a 1500?

To: "Patrick Anderson" <patnora@flash.net>,
Subject: Re: Side draft Weber on a 1500?
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:10:13 -0600
>Is there a manifold available that would allow me to run a single side
>draft Weber on a 1500? And yes, I know I should keep it stock with the
>SU's but they are badly in need of rebuild and I have a brand new
>Weber in the box. Anyway, just considering options...
>Patrick Anderson
>64 Fairlady
>Ft. Worth, TX.

Patrick,

Unless the inlet port spacing on a single (as opposed to dual) Weber DCOE
type manifold happened to match that of the SU manifold, I seriuosly
doubt that you'd be at all happy. I tried for two years to get a single
42 DCOE to work well on the L-16 in our original 510 and it never worked
totatly right due to the manifold design. These single sidedraft
manifolds gives cylinders 2 & 3 a straight shot from the carb, while the
manifold runners to cylinders 1 & 4 are much longer and curved.
Invariably, this leads to lean end cylinders (1 & 4) and rich middle
cylinders.

Then there's the question of which jets and emulsion tubes you start
with, and how's the throttle linkage going to work? Please don't
misunderstand me, you might be able to get the single to work, sort of,
but I seriuosly doubt you'll be happy with it. How about finding a set of
rebuilt SU's with maybe a refundable core charge with you return the ones
currently on the car?

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)