Re: more magic potions

To: shifty@well.com
Subject: Re: more magic potions
From: WayneLoom@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:48:40 EST
Leigh

You asked

<< What should I use to clean up pitted and rusty chrome? I know the best is
 to have it rechromed, but is there any way to make it a little more
 presentable in the meantime? I'm thinking mainly of the chrome gauge
 surrounds on my 1500, but the windshield frame could do with some work,
 too. Would buffing do any good? >>

Chrome doesn't rust so if you find rust on your chrome it has pitted through
to the steel.  There is no repair for pits short of fill and rechrome.  But
... if it isn't too bad you can knock it down with 000 or 0000 steel wool
(Chromium is very hard) and polish with any good metal polish (I like
Meguiar's M2805 All Metal or Simichrome).  You can also buff with professional
compounds and rouges but don't be too aggresive with the compound.  Remember
it's only plating.  Steel wool again and use Tripoli (intended for Aluminum)
for the compound and a good spiral sewn cotton wheel.  Then finish with White
or Green rouge.

Wayne Loomis (Co.)
SRL31 #11995