Re: more magic potions

To: mg boy <mgmidgetboy@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: more magic potions
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:09:48 -0600
>Permatex makes a product called Naval Jelly, which is supposed to
>"dissolve" rust, and Extend Rust Treatment which "...sprays on clear and
>converts rust to a black, metal-protective coating" as they say in their
>ad. Check them out at on the Loctite (they own Permatex) website at:
>
>http://www.loctite.com/catalog/product.html?ProductLine=AAMNJ+++++++++++++++
>http://www.loctite.com/catalog/product.html?ProductLine=AAMEXTND++++++++++++
>
>Gary McCormick
>'70 2000
>San Jose, CA
>mg boy wrote:
>>
>> Lads,
>>
>> I'd advise against using some of the bathroom "rust stain removers" if
>> they contain "hydrochloric acid" or "muratic acid" (if you have a
>> bottle, then send the ingredients and I will be able to tell you how
>> "strong" it is).
>>
>> The reason is that those strong acids WILL REMOVE ALL of the rust and
>> the rust stains all the way down to bare metal (bare steel, bare iron
>> ?).  If the iron or steel is then exposed to oxygen and water (both
>> components in the air), then rust will develop IMMEDIATELY and
>> UNAVOIDABLY.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I cannot give you a better chemical option.  The chrome
>> plating really does an outstanding job of protecting the iron surface
>> from rusting.  If that surface is broken or scratched, then it is only
>> a matter of time before rust takes over.
>>
>> What do you say Wayne / Phillip?  Do you know of any chemical fixes?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeff Mathys
>> Chemist

I forgot about Naval Jelly. They also make Aluminum Jelly for mill
finished aluminum that's badly oxidized. I was dealing with rust stains
more so than rusted metal. Something I forgot to mention was that I
didn't let this stuff sit very long before rinsing it thoroughly and then
drying the area with compressed air. In addition, I pulled the wiring
harness up and out of the way and made sure that the harness did not get
sprayed with either the cleaner or the rinse water.

I'm also going to repaint everything later on this year after the other
car's up and running. Maybe by then my cuticles will have recovered. <G>

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)