Re: more magic potions

To: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>, shifty <shifty@well.com>,
Subject: Re: more magic potions
From: mg boy <mgmidgetboy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:07:21 -0800 (PST)
Lads,

I'd advise against using some of the bathroom "rust stain removers" if
they contain "hydrochloric acid" or "muratic acid" (if you have a
bottle, then send the ingredients and I will be able to tell you how
"strong" it is).

The reason is that those strong acids WILL REMOVE ALL of the rust and
the rust stains all the way down to bare metal (bare steel, bare iron
?).  If the iron or steel is then exposed to oxygen and water (both
components in the air), then rust will develop IMMEDIATELY and
UNAVOIDABLY.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a better chemical option.  The chrome
plating really does an outstanding job of protecting the iron surface
from rusting.  If that surface is broken or scratched, then it is only
a matter of time before rust takes over.

What do you say Wayne / Phillip?  Do you know of any chemical fixes?

Cheers,
Jeff Mathys
Chemist