Re: Smooth breathing?

To: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Smooth breathing?
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:19:48 -0800
If the opening in the phenolic block were smaller than the matching
opening in the manifold, presenting an obstructive step in the flow
path, that would be more intrusive, I would think, than the situation as
described; i.e., the opening in the manifold is smaller than the opening
in the phenolic block, presenting a lip, or "dropoff". Fluid flow past a
sharp-edged dropoff will produce localized turbulence, or backflow, but
the degree of the effect is determined by a number of variables: speed
of flow, density of the fluid, shape and size of the lip.

I agree with Ronnie that it would be fun to compare the flow effects of
these different situations, but then my motto is: "More Data Is Better
Than Less".

Gary McCormick
'70 2000
San Jose, CA