Re: Transmissions

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmissions
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:55:16 -0800
Making the crass assumption you have a 4-speed,
        put in a new countershaft and bearings.  Everything else is pretty
robust, but the countershaft itself is weak (actually, a dumb design)
and will kill the gears if not fixed.  It's kinda scary to open up the
box, but it's actually an easy job, as you don't have to disassemble the
gear clusters or reshim anything, but you do get to see how your gearbox
works.
        While you're in there, you can check the synchros- if they look kinda
worn, replace 'em or just flip 'em over- last I looked, they were $60 a
pop, which is insane when Porsche boys get theirs for less than $30.
Flipping 'em will give you new metal, but it won't restore the
springiness...  but I replaced one (second) and flipped the other
(third) and they're almost equally strong.  It does, tho, mean you get
to pull the gearcluster apart.
Yap yap yap,
Toby