Re: New Z

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, shifty@well.com
Subject: Re: New Z
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 99 09:06:16 CST
I would not expect to see a return of the L28 (inline 6) motor.
Lots of engineering work required to get the emission/fuel economy/
driveability undercontrol.  While modern electronic control is
fantastic (PowerPC with a floating point unit for real time control),
the engine still plays a lot with the power/emission/driveability.

Nissan has a ton of work of work done on the V6 engines (VG30),
and as already mentioned there are RWD variations. So seeing the
new Z car, it would make more sense to see a V6 under the hood.

Remember the '96 & '97 Trucks. With the frame they could not get
in a large enough cat for the V6 motor. Hence, those years had
only the 4 cylinder (KA24) motor.  I really doubt if Nissan would
repeat that with the new Z car.

Other variable is COST.  A lot of money goes into product design
development. It makes it much cheaper to base something on an
existing platform. Oddly enough, the pathfinder and truck do NOT
have the same platfofm, but the new Xtrerra will share the truck
platform. That and a four door pickup (which I could use NOW).

Cheers,

Tom
Austin, TX.
(out car hunting... Maxima Se or Quest SE?) ;-)