Re: New Z

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Z
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:58:55 -0800
At 09:08 PM 2/13/99 -0600, jschmi7@us.ibm.com wrote:
>I just came back from the Chicago Auto Show.  One of the highlights of the
>show for me was the new Z.  Not so much that it is the most beautiful car
>in the show.  Far from it.  But that Nissan is trying to do something to
>stem the tide.  The worker from Nissan, I spoke with, had the impression
>that this car will try to beat the Honda 2000 and Miata by producing a
>250-275 HP 2 passenger sports car that will easily outperform the others at
>$25K.

They're really gonna have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to accomplish
that. The specs so far say the Honda is 300 lbs. lighter (2800 vs 3100) and
has 20% more power (240 vs 200). 0-60 is 5.5 for the Honda, 7.0 for the Z.
And unless they turbo the hell out of that KA24, there's no way they'll get
275 hp out of that lump. They should have gone with the VG30 twin turbo -
300 hp and already sorted out.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org