Alt electrical questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Alt electrical questions
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:48:13 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

        I also have some electrical questions that I hope someone can answer.
         I also wired my alt.  with one thick cable going to the batt. and one
smaller
fused cabled spliced into the white cable that used to go into the stock alt.
        Here's whats wacky.. my amp meter reads a discharge?? And when I take
out the fuse in the cable going to the white wire my ampmeter still works??
I guess I was expecting it to go dead why did'nt it??
        I think that my alt. is working cause at about 2000rpm's everything
gets really bright-dash lights higher powered head lights-high powered
driving lights.  I was told that the self-regulating alt do this.  Put out
less power than stock at idle and lower rpm's but turn on with a vengance
a little higher in the rpm range.
        Is there a way to tell if my alt is working and when it is turning on?
Should I just put an amp meter in series with the cable going to the batt??

                thanks,
                        Daniel 69 2000