RE: What are we owned by?

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What are we owned by?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:44:56 -0800
> Hmmm, maybe it IS that much worse on the West Coast, or at least
> in areas
> such as LA. But "danger" or "vulnerability" is something I've yet
> to sense  in
> three years and almost 25,000 miles of driving a bone-stock, 40hp
> Herald 1200
> (with drum brakes all around, no less).

I suspect it depends to a large extent on what you are accustomed to.  I've
only driven a car with that little power maybe twice in my life, and every
time I've felt a distinct disadvantage.  With the VW Rabbit (Golf) diesel
that I borrowed one day, I pulled out in front of a big truck that I thought
was a comfortable distance away, but I still wasn't up to the speed limit
when he passed me about 10 seconds later.  Fortunately he changed lanes
first !

> That includes a run halfway across the
>  country (2550 miles NY to MN and back) on Interstate highways -- at  but
> admittedly not above legal posted limits -- virtually the entire  way.

Our freeways are deliberately engineered to be "safe" at speeds considerably
above the posted limits, with the cars that were common 40 years ago.  The
original Interstate design parameters were chosen for 90 mph, but I don't
know of any that are marked higher than 75 mph today.  The design also tries
to ensure that sudden maneuvers are not required and grades are kept gentle
to avoid the possibility of brake fade.

FWIW, there are a number of freeways here in SoCA that were built before
such things were considered, and are not part of the Interstate system only
because they do not meet the requirements.  There is an area near Pasadena
for example, known as "blood alley" to some, with right-angle intersections
and stop signs, trying to merge with 70 mph traffic.  The "5 mph" exit ramp
to the left is amusing too, with it's location just after a turn in the
freeway and it's very tight downhill progressive turn.

But where I really miss the power is in city traffic, particularly at
intersections where there is no stop sign/light for the main flow of
traffic.  The street in front of my house, for example, has 2 lanes of
traffic each way, generally doing at least 45 mph (the posted limit) and I
have to turn left (crossing two lanes of traffic) into that every morning.

Brakes are another place that I'm rather particular about.  I live near
several mountains, and enjoy driving on them.  But brake fade is no fun at
all !  At least once I fully expected to become a statistic ... the
hydraulic system on the Stag failed completely and the drum rear brakes
faded into uselessness with the result that I sailed downhill off the
freeway into an intersection where the cross traffic did not stop.
Fortunately no one was coming, so after a brief pause for the brakes to cool
(and my heart rate to return to some semblance of normal, underwear had to
wait), I was able to continue to the shop to have the brakes repaired.

My only experience with Triumph front drum brakes has been with a 56 TR3,
and I considered it a menace on the road.  Still fun to drive, but I felt
like I was driving a bumper car at the carnival !  The brakes always pulled
to one side, and apparently flipped a coin each time to decide which way to
pull.  This was with new cylinders & shoes, and refinished drums.  If I
still had the car, you can bet it would be wearing disc brakes by now.
Instead I sold it (after removing the OD) in favor of a later TR3 with
factory discs .

Randall