Vacuum wipers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum wipers
From: wiggins@mrcbs.med.yale.edu (CHRISTOPHER J. WIGGINS)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 09:37:34 -0500
>Seems to me I remember seeing them on early- to mid-1960s AMC (Rambler)
>products. And not to belabour the point too much: at least in my 1951
>Chevrolet, unless you were climbing a long hill or otherwise loading the
>engine, you had the advantage of infinitely variable wiper speed
>depending on how far you turned the wiper switch knob.

I had been meaning to write and say I thought my brother had a '60s car with
this sort of arrangement. I can remember replacing many lengths of perished
tubing in order to get even a vague resemblance of reliability out of the
things. The oldest car he owned was a '62 Buick Special (yes, with that
famous 215 V8), but I suspect that it was indeed a Rambler he had with the
vacuum wipers, probably aged around '65 or '66 (but I am guessing there).

Chris Wiggins (wiggins@mrcbs.med.yale.edu)
'57 VW Beetle
'71 Austin America