Look ma, no distributor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Look ma, no distributor
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 09:28 EST
Greg asks :
> Is anybody aware of a spark system that runs independently from the ECU
> and doesn't require a distributor to work?

Yes there are plenty of systems on the market. Go to any SCCA national race and
you will see Spitfires, Midgets, MGBs etc running distributorless ignition
systems.

There are basically 2 types that I am aware of:

1 - crankfire - 2 or 4 pickups are fitted to the flywheel and a sensor is fixed
the inside on the bell-housing. Each of the pickups is used to trigger the
electronic
box to fire the correct spark-plug (assuming a 4 cyl engine). David Vizard also
describes a system which uses the bolts holding the flywheel to the crank as a
triggering system.

2 - front pulley system - a machined/precise pulley is installed in place of the
standard crank pulley. This new pulley has small magnets embedded in it. A
pickup
is fitted to the front of the engine which senses the position of the crank and
fires
the correct spark plug.

Some systems I have seen do not make use of a coil but have it built into the
the electronic box.

MSD - also make a variey of "boxes" which allow you to adjust the timing/dwell
dynamically. There is a control panel which fits on the dashboard which allows
the
driver to plays around with the timing/dwell and other parameters.

gerry

PS - how deep is you wallet ? these systems are not cheap !