Re: vacuum wipers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vacuum wipers
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 01:14:36 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, Lewis Dunbar Dove wrote:

>       Yes, I have had a lot of experience with vacuum wipers too.
> It is interesting that back in the 20's when the first Model A Fords
> came out, the vacuum wipers were considered more desirable than the
> electric kind; both were better than the hand-operated Model T
> version!  One drive with Emma, my 28 Ford in the rain convinced me
> that vacuum wipers would have been better. Emma's electrics are SLOW.
> Anyway, by the late 30's and 40's electrics were coming into their
> own in the US, with two and three speed motors fairly common.

Maybe, but vacuum-operated wipers persisted into the early 1950's, at
least in GM cars.

>       I am surprised that vacuum reservoirs for wipers were not
> more common.  After all, vacuum sources were used in lieu of fuel
> pumps at one time; remember those?

And some cars had mechanical fuel pumps with built-in vacuum pumps to
assist manifold vacuum in keeping the wipers going.  Seems to me that a
vacuum reservoir would have been a lot simpler and more reliable.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us