Re: Cosworth BDG, sports racer

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, racefab@pms076.pms.ford.com
Subject: Re: Cosworth BDG, sports racer
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 93 11:30:13 EST
Many thanks to Dave Williams, Michael Sands, Chris Kantarjiev, and
Mark Niedzielski for the helpful suggestions and information regarding
engines suitable for a mid-engined sports-racer type car!

A general sentiment was that squeezing 200hp from ~2 liters leads to
a fairly vicious and short-lived engine.  I have since done some looking
around and come up with a few candidates in the 2.2l and bigger range:

BMW M3 motor

Olds quad-4

Porsche inline 4

These seem to have comparable specific power and the Quad-4 would
certainly be cheaper than the others.  The other two would not be
THAT hard to come by.

Does anyone have any comments on size and weight for the above
motors?  Actual weight and dimension data would be lovely, as well
as recommendations on where to get dimensioned drawings for these
engines.  I'd also like to know the difficulty of routine sorts
of maintenance on these motors, especially valve adjustment.

                Sincerely,

                Tim