Re: Spitfire

To: british-cars@Alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spitfire
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 09:41:21 CDT
->augi@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Joe Augenbraun) writes:
->> Mechanical:
->>
->>     When I drive the car at or above about 60 mph, there is a rumbly
->>     vibration from the back of the car.  I was told that it probably
->>     was halfshaft U-joints, but I checked them and they seem fine.
->>     It doesn't feel like out of balance tires, and doesn't make nasty
->>     wheel bearing type noises.  The only thing I can think of is that
->>     the fact that the transmission mounts are bad (the transmission is
->>     sitting an inch and half low) is causing this problem.  I'm
->>     replacing those anyway, but are there any other ideas?

        Well, I replaced a U-joint in the 6 last weekend that felt fine from
the outside, but when I got it all apart, 2 of the bearings had no roller
bearings in them, and the other 2 were frozen nearly solid. This was the source
of vibration and bad ride I had the last 100 miles home from Boulder.

        The other possibility I can think of is that the driveshaft has come
unbalanced for some reason.

        iii