Spitfire

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Spitfire
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 14:18:58 EDT
I've done more work on my Spitfire, and its almost made the transition
between looking like a piece of junk that's had some work done on it to
a nice car that needs some work done to it.

This weekend I made door panels for it (cost was about $15 and a day's
work) and they really look sharp.  The interior is black, but I decided
to start a red piping theme.  So each door panel has red piping running
along the top and down the front.  I also re-covered the little hand
brake arm rest console, and included red piping on it, and it is really
sharp.  Unbelieveably enough, these new pieces have made the seats and
carpeting look even shabbier than they did before.  Those are the next
projects.

I also did some mechanical work that I won't describe here.  I also intended
to replace the rear bushings, but ran into problems.  The bolt that holds
things together is well and truly seized.  I'm going to do that job next
weekend at a friend's house, as he has air and an impact wrench.

Hold onto your hats, because here come the questions:

Mechanical:

        When I drive the car at or above about 60 mph, there is a rumbly
        vibration from the back of the car.  I was told that it probably
        was halfshaft U-joints, but I checked them and they seem fine.
        It doesn't feel like out of balance tires, and doesn't make nasty
        wheel bearing type noises.  The only thing I can think of is that
        the fact that the transmission mounts are bad (the transmission is
        sitting an inch and half low) is causing this problem.  I'm
        replacing those anyway, but are there any other ideas?

        Possibly related is the fact that the car judders when releasing
        the clutch and starting from a standstill.  The last car I had
        that did this did it because the rear seal was leaking, and oil
        would get on the clutch.  I suspect this is the case here, but is
        there anything else to be aware of as a possibility?

Cosmetic:

        The carpet in the car now is molded.  I'm debating whether to cut
        carpet myself (I have a roll of black carpet available) or to order
        one of these cheap carpet sets.  Anyone have experience with them?
        Are they molded where appropriate, or are they just cut out of flat
        carpet?

        The radio console isn't in the car right now, but makes enough
        sense.  But where do the speakers go?  I think I must be missing
        some pieces, because all I have are a cast aluminum piece covered
        in vinyl and foam, and an insert for this piece that has cutouts
        for radio knobs and face.  This will successfully mount the stereo
        proper but doesn't address speakers.  Where were they mounted
        originally?

That's all for now.  I'll ask more as I think of it.

                                                        Joe