RE: Heat cycling tires

To: "'Mark Mervich '" <mwizard@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Heat cycling tires
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:18:11 -0700
>     My new Hankook tires are being mounted.  Someone mentioned "heat
>cycling" them.  What would this process be?

For R compounds, proper heat cycling can extend the life of the tire.   BTW
James, what I've heard from Kumho is that "100 continuous highway miles" is
NOT a good way to heat cycle their tires :)

For Street Touring tires (ones here in question), don't bother with heat
cycling.   Just drive them on the street a little to get the mold release
compound off the tread, and you'll be fine.

Note that some ST tires (well, the Hankooks, MX and 615s) can benefit from
shaving them first.   However for the "casual local event" competitor that
is more likely a waste of $$$.

Ed