Re: Heat cycling tires

To: mwizard@earthlink.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat cycling tires
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:53:18 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2005 9:18:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mwizard@earthlink.net writes:

Good  morning.
My new Hankook tires are being mounted.   Someone mentioned "heat
cycling" them.  What would this process  be?
Mark
Mark Mervich
650-367-6326

Mark - Most Competition tires (not sure about the Hankooks) need to heat up
and cool down a few times for the rubber components to "hold hands" - really
extra cross-linking of the elastomers, I think. Not really of any use on
street  tires, but the competition tires will last longer in real racing, if
they
are heat cycled a couple of times before being abused - Sorry, I meant
autocrossed. see the link below to Tire Rack for their pre-sale heat cycling
service. You can also do it on the street, but they really have to get up to
temp
before it has any effect - as in "But officer, I was just heat-cycling my
tires!" - Perhaps some "crop-circles" in a large parking lot - short of donuts
-
and in both directions - would do it.

Seth Emerson

_http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=66_