Re: octane boost

To: <jerry@moutons.org>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: octane boost
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:00:49 EDT
If your engine is not knocking, getting higher octane gas won't help you a bit.

Jerry - That used to be true and still is for older cars, like my Corvair. But
on newer cars the knock sensors will let the computer add more ignition advance
until knock occurs, then back it off just enough. So, up to a limit, better
octane can result in more power. On my 1996 Camaro V6, the owners manual says
87 octane regular, the sticker on the underside of the gas cap lid says Premium
Fuel only. Hmmm? I have regular-ed it once in a while, and while no pinging, it
is definitely down on power, compared to it's normal diet of 92 (now 91)
octane. I don't think 100 would do much more. - Seth Emerson