Re: Round 17 DNFs

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Round 17 DNFs
From: "geewiz@mac.com" <geewiz@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:43:00 -0400
On Monday, August 13, 2001, at 09:54 AM, Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> 23 people posted 1 or more DNFs.  Fortunately only 2 had all 3 runs as
> DNFs.
> I'd love to know whether they had walked the course, where their DNFs
> occured, etc.  17 of the 23 DNFed only their 1st run.

Hi, I'm new here -- first event in *this* bay area, after 3 years
autocrossing in the *Tampa* bay area. So I can't comment relative to
previous SFR courses, but I can say that the course was both very
clear and driveable. And judging by only Nationals course maps, yeah
it looked like a Nationals course :-).

Sheesh, we'd have 23 or more people posting at least one DNF in Florida
-- but that was with less than 60 entrants! There was one multiple-apex
(marked that way anyway) corner on the return side at which I momentarily
picked up the wrong apex cone, but I corrected quickly (I had no DNFs).
Other than that, every sight line was clear and unambiguous. My big problem
was holding the car after I crossed that corner at the finish!

-- Glenn, the only (?!) BS participant

PS: My only (small) complaint was the amount of crud on the course off the
most-popular line by halfway through the event; the first corner after the
start, for example, you *had* to take the popular line (early apex) or you
would be turning on lots of loose pebbles. Someone said y'all hire a
sweeper before the event starts; any chance of sending out a broom patrol
after run group 4 or something? I'd volunteer to sweep :-).