Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>, <Ghsharp@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:39:29 -0600
You are still wanting a potentially innocent "defendant" to pony up $2100 to
prove his innocence. He's already $2100 in the negative before he ever got
protested. And what if he is never protested (as ~99% of us never are?)

And you'd give the accuser a free pass.

It has always been that the accuser posts a bond to cover the expenses borne
by the accused -- expenses the accused would never have needed to cover but
for the accuser's action.

Of course, if the accused is guilty, all expense is on him and the accuser
pays nothing.

What we are saying now is that instead of everyone having to spend a bunch
of bucks to acquire something most will never need, now nobody would..

Nobody, including the accuser, who also did not need to spend unnecessary
money to acquire HIS unneeded documentation.

And we are putting that cost into the overall cost of the protest, to be
borne by the losing party.

So yes, the accuser makes his accusation which needs to be verified one way
or the other, and he needs to pony up the bond to check it out -- whether
checking it out involves opening the engine or looking up a factory
specification. I see no real "extra burden." It has always been a "put up or
shut up" thing. Protest bonds ARE meant to deter unfounded protests, fishing
expeditions and witch hunts, but if you think you really got the goods on
the guy then put it up.

If a competitor can be disqualified for failure to provide needed
documentation at the time of the protest -- a requirement increasingly
difficult and financially burdensome if not just impossible in this era --
you have just made unfounded protests, fishing expeditions and witch hunts
all too easy.

Burden on the protestor? The protestor creates the burden by filing the
protest. The whole point it is that it has to be WORTH that burden. If the
protestor is ultimately correct, then obviously it IS worth that burden. But
we want that burden to be part of the protest. It should not be easy to
accuse someone.

Surely the protestor can afford it with what he saved by not having to
acquire his own documentation. What it really does is save EVERYONE money,
and for what seems an increasingly large number of us, that saving is
significant. What's worse: someone doesn't file a protest because it MIGHT
cost him another $100, or someone doesn't play our game at the highest
levels because he MUST spend several hundred dollars to acquire
documentation for which he has no other need?

Take a Nationals with 1000 drivers. Say every one needed to have factory
documentation or face disqualification if protested. Some spend less than
others, so lets say that documentation cost averages $500 per entrant (the
guy who gets his for $50 offset by the guy who gets his for $2000). You have
just spent HALF A MILLION BUCKS on unneeded documentation. Contrast that
with the $100 out of the protestor's pocket to look up a spec on the
protestee's car, and multiply that by the five protests received that
require documentation to settle the issue -- to me $500,000 against $500 is
a no-brainer.

Half a mil on "maybe" or half a grand on what's needed for sure? Do the
math.

Let's make it even more stupid: Protestee HAS his factory documentation.
It's a pile of microfiches. How do we read those? Well, we go to the dealer,
who has a microfiche machine and read them there. Dealer charges $100 for
the service (which, as someone else pointed out earlier, would be covered by
the protest bond). It would have been the same $100 if we had used the
DEALER'S microfiches, but instead we required every entrant in the paddock
to have his own set. We have saved exactly nothing, cost the protestor the
same amount as before, and ALSO cost all the entrants heavy out-of-pocket
money to no good purpose.

And BTW, that $100 is just a number plucked out of the air for an hour of a
mythical shop's time. Some shops may charge more, some less. And maybe the
shop just uses 15 minutes and only charges $25. Maybe the shop in a burst of
goodwill gets us the needed spec for free (I'd not be surprised if that was
the norm). The cost of finding out ONE pertinent spec is so minimal compared
to the cost of having every bit of information handy "just in case" I can't
see that there is any real issue there.

We should continue to encourage entrants to acquire documentation. The best
reason for doing so is to speed the process. But it is no longer financially
sensible to require it, or to require entrants to spend money needlessly for
something most will never use.

--Rocky