Re: Tires for Next year

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires for Next year
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:33:28 -0400
At 11:13 AM 10/24/01 -0400, Larry Steckel wrote:

>At our last event the driver of a Street Touring Accura was waxing rhapsodic
>about the Falken Axenis. (I guess he liked them a lot.)  Weird tread
>pattern. I poked those tires a few times and they felt like an old Yokohama
>008. Their web site shows a 205-50-VR15 with a 400 wear rating.

Richard West won the STS class at the Pro Sola Finale with Falken Axenis on
his Subaru.

He came in a very close third at Nationals on the same tires despite what
the results say (I was cleaning tires between runs for him).

They, like so many current high performance tires, don't look like "rain
tires" <grin>. However, the tread compound didn't seem to pick up rocks
like an R compound, (let alone like Hoosier R25 slicks!). The hardest part
about cleaning them was those darn fenders getting in the way.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford