RE: Tires for Next year

To: washburn@dwave.net, elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org
Subject: RE: Tires for Next year
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:41:28 -0400
Autocross went through this same thing when the original 008 was introduced.
This is a gray area that several aircraft carriers can sail through side by
side. I don't really think there is a solution unless every last tire
manufacturer agrees to use one specific tire as the standard to rate from,
and what are the chances of that.

I like to get about two seasons out of a set of autocross tires and my
experience is that R compound don't live that long, and I don't have the
cash to buy tires all the time. Nor can you drive R tires on the street in
the wet without aging rapidly. Plus I'm lazy, I guess, I simply hate to keep
changing wheels off and on all the time. All of the above dictates a harder
compound tire, as does our club rules for Stock.

And as you said, I think that a Stock car "should" be something approaching
"Stock" to make things as inviting to the newbies, so they  don't get
sticker shock and leave permanently after the first event.

Yet I hate to get beat by pesky Hondas, so I want something that will keep
me competitive as possible. I don't have the ability to do testing of
various tires (nobody is stupid enough to give me multiple sets to burn up)
so thats why I'm asking you guys for some suggestions.

Larry

Ahhh. I love bench racing.