Re: A way to reduce some classes

To: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A way to reduce some classes
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:35:06 -0500
Rick Brown wrote:

>Am I reading this wrong or is Dennis saying he (or "they" or whoever) could
>come up with rules that would allow all possible cars to compete fairly in
>only 2 SP(SM) classes?

I don't think that's what is being proposed. Instead, the (currently two if you
stretch the point quite a bit) SM "classes" would be combined with the SP
classes they most closely resemble (in Dennis' opinion) in terms of performance.

I see very clearly the upside for Dennis: his "baby" gets built-in additional
(forced) subscription so he can quote bigger attendance figures continue to
assert that the whole world has just been waiting for SM to appear so they
could start autocrossing.

I don't see any upside for any of the SP competitors who get "consolidated" -
the classes he names are doing OK without his help, thank you - nor for the
sport as a whole.

SM hasn't been around for long enough to acquire a base of fully-developed
car/driver combinations, or even a ruleset that we could be relatively sure
won't change next week. Until SM matures and actually becomes a prep category,
any attempt to decide which SP classes most closely match SM capabilities - it
really should be _none_ once SM cars are fully developed - is meaningless.

Jay