Re: best roadster?

To: Richard Rees <greyhawke@home.com>
Subject: Re: best roadster?
From: "Dr. Stuart Strickland" <stuart@strickland.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:37:42 +0200
My brother and I have the same problem (I'm 6'4", he's 6'5"), but we both drive
Miatas anyway.  There are a few tricks to bear in mind.  The first is that the
sun visors have to go (this isn't a problem in the Elise, since it doesn't have
sun visors).  The second is, if you want to see the traffic light, don't pull
up close to the intersection unless you've got the top down.  The third is to
consider mounting the driver's seat directly to the floor of the car -- this is
good for at least an inch.  I was still never able to get low enough to meet
the SCCA (and common sense) requirement of having the top of my helmet a full
2" below any rollbar that would fit under the softtop.  And the hardtop is out
of the question.

Oddly enough, the Elise is much better in this respect.  It's a challenge to
get in and out of at any height; but once you're there, you've got a lot of
headroom.  Since the seat only goes back so far, you've still got more bend in
the knee than you might want, you're knee will touch the gearshift in 1st or
2nd (LHD) and you'll have to learn to spread you're legs to get the wheel
around in a hairpin.

The Boxster offers a lot more room, for sure.  But I still don't think it's as
fun to drive.  I never felt comfortable in a Z3 or MR2.  As a tall driver, the
best car I ever drove was the BMW 2002 -- but that's a whole 'nother car.

If we're going to continue to pursue this rather pointless thread, perhaps we
should divide it into two categories: modern and classic roadsters (i.e., those
you can buy new today and those you can find still on the road).  My vote for
the first is the Elise with the Miata a close second.  My vote for the second
is the early Elan, followed, not so closely, by the 914 (also a tight fit).

Stuart