Re: The REAL Issue

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The REAL Issue
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:58:56 EST
Roger 2 writes:

> <<  That is, prior to ST/SM, folks new to Solo II would enter the
> most convenient applicable class at their first event(s), be it
> the local novice class, the street tire class, the Speed Freakz class,
> or in the (rare) absence of  such a class at the local level, the
> Open class.  >>

Roger makes a good point. When I started, a rear swaybar, or different carb
would put you in Prepared.  In '83, we created SP, and thought at the time
that we were including the things that an enthusiast would do to improve
their car.

It's clear that SP doesn't currently reflect some of the things that
enthusiasts do.  Mostly due to enthusiasts having even more options now than
ever. Should SP be changed to reflect these changes?  I'm guessing the
current SP competitors would say "no."  They did when surveyed a few years
ago.

So, we have STS, STR and SM.  Hopefully, they will satisfy the needs of an
additional group of people.  To me, the bottom line is this.  99% of our new
entrants start with some car they already had.  MAYBE 1% say "I think I'll
start autocrossing.  What car should I get to do it with?"  It's also just
about a universal truth that people change cars.

To me the question becomes:  IS SM a class in which you start, or a class to
which you go later?  After we answer that question, then and only then can
you decide what cars/modifications you allow.  If you're trying to attract
people by having the class, I think it's a bit narrowly constructed as it
stands, by the way...

Charlie Davis